Sunday, December 29, 2013

We have not had this much snow at Christmas in about 10 years.  Yesterday I got out my snow shoes.

Today Kwam my partner called and asked if I remembered the trips we made from Port au Prince to Pierre Payean after the earthquake. I would never forget the devastation and all the medical teams I worked with then. Every week a newmedical team would arrive on a private jet (no commercial planes could go in or out for weeks or months after the quake) and come to our Pierre Payean Hospital to do surgery on patients. Kwam and I would take his big box truck that he uses to sell ice and pick up a couple surgeons who would then travel with us to one of the hospitals in port to find patients to do surgery on.  That part was easy because thousands were all over at hospitals even in tents in the yard or just laying on the ground outside.

The doctors would read the charts if they had one and look at xrays to see which ones we could take on the three hours drive back with us for surgeries. They were laid on a thin mattress in the back of the truck usually given morphine for the pain and long bumpy hot ride. We allowed no more than two family members to come with us. One stop on the way back to buy them food and drinks.

Then after surgery and recovery we would drive them back to Port au Prince. Kwam and I made 37 trips in 3 1/2 months. It was pretty grueling and often the ride took a lot longer due to traffic and the country being such a disaster.  During this time I was at a hospital and heard a little boy crying and screaming. It was our Jovanee in his aunts arms with bandages on his head and one on his stump of the arm that was amputated because he was buried in the earthquake for four days and his brother died on his arm so he had no circulation and that is why they had to amputate. His mother also died.

He has been with us ever since that day I brought him home.  Jovanee and I made peanut butter cookies right before I left. I showed him how to hold the bowl in between his legs so he could stir with his one arm. We had so much fun and he liked his first taste of peanut butter cookies. It is good to special things with the kids on a one to one so they get that special attention that they need.

Well today couple showed up at my gate in Haiti looking for me. Kwam explained I was in the US so they asked if he could call me and he did and they thanked me.   It has been four years in January since the quake and these people drive to Montrouis to my house just to show their appreciation.  I got all choked up and could hardly speak. Then they asked me to pray with them so I did. They are coming back next month so they can see me.

Of course I immediately had to call my friends in Texas Ric and Wendy Bonnell who set up all the teams and the planes and organized everything. They are both doctors and have adopted 5 children from Haiti and have been working part time in Haiti for years. I told them what happened and reminded them what an impact we made and how many lives we touched thanks to Jesus who made it all possible!! Of course so many made an impact on us and touched our lives and we will never forget those times.

So Rick suggested we try to find out when they were there and what team was there at the time. When they come back next month I will  take photos and write an article to share with the ones who gave their time and talents to come to Haiti and help. It was amazing all the people from all over the United States that worked together and sacrificed to come. I still have many friends I am still in contact with and five or six times a year teams still come to the hospital with new people and some of the original ones. So many memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment